Friday, January 14, 2011

Update central.

Unfortunately, posting once a month means my entries are little update-heavy. I apologize. I will try to post more often and write more ~witty~ and ~insightful~ things. Now...let's get these updates out of the way.


  • It's still birthday season. My mom's birthday is this weekend, my hubby's birthday is next weekend, and my dad's is the weekend after that, along with one of our good friends. Funnily enough, they're all pretty 'big' birthdays, too--my mom's 55th, my dad's 65th, hubby's 25th, and our friend's 30th.
  • We're going on our cruise in two weeks to celebrate the 25th and 30th. :) 
  • The New Year's Eve party was a huge success up until the very end of the night, when the hubby had one too many bottles of wine and everything ended up in our master sink. Twice. Ugh.
  • I finished The Hunger Games. I love this series forever and ever. So much so that I think I'll be Katniss this Halloween. :)
  • I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Magicians by Lev Grossman. The book is divided into three parts. The first part was really magical and enjoyable. The second part became a little tedious and aloof. But now...the third part everything is more awesome than I ever could have imagined. I never saw this crazy plot twist coming, and I can't wait to see how it ends. In short, I highly recommend this book.
  • I applied to an online master's program in Curriculum & Instruction in reading. It's a way for me to advance myself in my field, which will now be reading instruction. It's funny how it accidentally landed in my lap with some dumb luck, but now it's definitely what I want to do. It's a 13-month intensive program, so I'll be pretty busy for a while...however, I'll be online a lot so I'll be tempted to keep posting.
  • Smash has changed quite a bit in the past month. He's still sleeping somewhat the same and eating like a horse, but...ok, let's start with the eating. Just after New Year, I switched him 100% over to formula. It was a good move for both of us. I know I was complaining about how breastfeeding was becoming a battle in my last post. So, for about the past two weeks, he's been getting Similac Advance single-serving bottles at every feeding instead of nursing.
  • Wednesday was his 10-month doctor's appointment. (That first year is really flying by fast!) We learned some pretty exciting things there. Smash is now 30 inches long, which puts him in the 75th percentile for height. He weighs 19 lbs 3 oz, which puts him in the 20th percentile for weight. He's always measured in that range for weight, so he's growing proportionately, which is what counts. The biggest change is now in his eating habits. I did just switch him over to formula recently, but now the doctor gave me the thumbs up to stop the formula and baby food and start feeding him all "real" foods (i.e., finger foods). He can now drink cow's milk, and 2% is ok since he eats yogurt and cheese as well. I'm excited to finish up the remaining formula and move on to the wide world of big kid food.
  • Smash is almost walking! He cruises around the perimeter of his room, holding onto walls, doors, his window, tall toys, etc. He is so ready. He just needs to figure out how to take that final leap into supporting his own weight. He wants it badly and I'm sure within the month he'll figure it out.
  • Smash now has his two bottom middle teeth. Obviously, the right one came in first (see my last entry) so they're a little uneven, but it's super cute when he smiles! :)
  • Hubby might be getting a new job, downtown at a well-known financial company. He was contacted a week ago by his former boss, who is now in management there, and was told about the open position and told to apply. So he did. Now begins the interview process. If he makes it through, then we'll see what kind of salary jump they'll offer him and he may or may not go for it. I have my fingers crossed that they'll offer him about 50% more than what he's making now. Otherwise, the move isn't really worth it.
Ok, I've gotta go get Smash ready now. We're going out to lunch with a friend of mine. Should be fun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment